open source GIS and data sharing

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke@ufg.uni-kiel.de
Sat Sep 30 11:02:22 CEST 2006

Leif,

Thanks for your offer to help.
Landscape scale data is indeed the stuff I am most desperate about.
The problem ist that in many countries -- including Germany -- you
can only buy a restricted right to use this data for a certain research
project.
The licensing policy usually prohibits you from using it for anything
else aftwerwards. If you can get data from Andalucia which can be used
freely after purchase -- that would be great indeed.
Don't worry too much about excavation data, I am sure we will find
something soon enough.

GRASS programming is almost 90% done in C and the rest is
Tcl/Tk and shell scripting. I am not sure if there is a current
Java API for GRASS. I'll check with the GRASS developers.

Benjamin