why sign for ancient diolkos

sofia-l sofia-l@tellas.gr
Tue Oct 2 20:40:59 CEST 2007

Some friends are asking me various questions about the Ancient Diolkos
petition. I guess a lot of you reading about Diolkos are wondering about the
same things, so I give some explanations here.

MONEY.
Signing the petition does not mean asking the Greek State to give money that
it cannot afford for restoring the monument. The protection of the monument
should have been presented for funding (with European Union contribution or
other similar projects) LONG AGO. Unfortunately, by not having even the most
elementary information about the monument, the services in charge were
KEEPING THEMSELVES UNPREPARED even to ASK for funding…

WHO ARE WE TO SPEAK.
The monument is not a property OWNED by people that are free to destroy it.
Unfortunately, this is what has happened up to now. This petition says that
we want this to stop. The Diolkos is a common heritage of mankind (as many
other monuments and sites all over the world).

IS THE PETITION JUST A PLEA?
No, it is more dynamic that that. The Prime Minister’s Office is being often
notified about the progress and knows that many people from many countries
know I\of the problem. Consequently, the Diolkos cannot be left to decay in
silence (as was the situation up to now).

INFORMATION GIVEN
The information given at the petition site cannot cover 45 years of neglect
and destruction. It would be too long (and maybe also very shocking). If
anybody feels like having more information, I will be glad to provide both
information AND documentation, so please send me an e-mail at
sofia-l@tellas.gr.