AAA 2009 Call for Papers on "Google Earth, Open Source and other Emerging Spatial Technologies: Innovation and Application in Archaeology"

Illya Santos illya.sparkes.santos@gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:29:59 CEST 2009

Dear list,

We would like to invite people to submit abstracts for the AAA (Australian
Archaeological Association) session this year on “Google Earth, Open Source
and other Emerging Spatial Technologies: Innovation and Application in
Archaeology”. The session is being convened by Illya Santos and Stafford
Smith at the University of Western Australia. If you would like to present
then please forward an Abstract to us by September the 30th.

If you would like more information about our session please contact us
(details below) and please distribute this to any of your colleagues who you
feel may be interested. For further information on the conference please
visit
http://www.flinders.edu.au/ehlt/conferences/archaeology/aaa2009/aaa2009_home.cfm

 *
*

*Google Earth, Open Source and other Emerging Spatial Technologies:
Innovation and Application in Archaeology *

In this session we would like to examine the ways in which emerging spatial
technologies are being used in the study and practice of archaeology in
Australia and abroad. Archaeologists have been using aerial photographs for
over 70 years to study the ground and provide targets for excavation and
survey. Since the 70s, often in tandem with aerial surveys, archaeologists
have been using GIS programs to map and analyze sites. Recently however,
there has been a proliferation of spatial technologies, from recording
devices, to economically viable satellite imagery, to open source software.

            Google Earth is probably the best known of these emerging
spatial technologies. In addition to its repository of satellite imagery, it
also offers an easily accessible platform to distribute spatial data,
through Keyhole Markup Language. A number of open source geospatial
technologies are also emerging as real alternatives to traditionally
expensive options with everything from operating systems specific to
archaeology to fully customizable GIS programs. These tools are being used
in creative ways for viewing, displaying, analyzing and storing information
by research, commercial and education organizations all over the world. How
is this reflected in archaeology currently?  What are Australian
archaeologists doing with these technologies now and what would we like to
do in the future?

Illya Santos (Geospatial Technologies)

*eureka* archaeological research and consulting UWA

Archaeology M405

University of Western Australia

35 Stirling Highway

Crawley 6009