CONFERENCE (2ND CALL FOR PAPERS): Exploring the Middle Ground: Quantitative Spatial Techniques and Experiential Theory

dgraves dgraves@staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Sat Oct 16 14:20:07 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

I am hoping this conference will be of interest to those subscribed to
these lists.  We are looking for presenters who are using quantitative
archaeological approaches alongside qualitative (also known as
experiential or phenomenological) theory, and hope to attract
attendees who are thinking about doing so.

Details of the conference may be found below.  If you are interested
in attending or giving a paper, please get in touch!

Kind regards,

Dorothy Graves
---

**2nd CALL FOR PAPERS**

Following our recent post on BritArch, we are pleased to announce the
second call for papers for the upcoming conference, 'In Search of the
Middle Ground: Quantitative Spatial Techniques and Experiential
Theory'.  This conference will be held at Aberdeen University on
Saturday 26th March 2011.  The conference seeks to bring together
researchers using both quantitative spatial techniques and
experiential theory in archaeology, explore the middle ground between
the two approaches and suggest ways forward for archaeological
approaches to past landscapes. Here are some key themes:

Exploration and illumination of projects that have (successfully or
otherwise) combined quantitative and qualitative techniques of
landscape analysis;

The encouragement of dialogue between both sides of the divide and
exploration of how to bridge the gap in practice;

The exchange of ideas about current approaches to past landscapes and
proposals of positive ways forward for quantitative and qualitative
landscape studies.

The conference proceedings will be published in a peer-reviewed
journal.  We invite papers from all relevant disciplines, but
particularly welcome archaeologists who are developing
qualitatively-driven quantitative techniques; all those who are
developing 'middle ground' techniques through collaborative projects;
and all those whose work in this 'middle ground' promises to expand
our field and contribute to richer understanding of archaeological
landscapes.

Email abstracts of 500 words max for submissions by 31 January 2011
for the attention of the conference organisers, Dorothy Graves,
University of Edinburgh, and Kirsty Millican, RCAHMS, at
middleground2011@gmail.com.  For more information, please contact us
at middleground2011@gmail.com.

The original announcement for the conference can be found at
http://tinyurl.com/middleground2011/

Dr Kirsty Millican and Dr Dorothy Graves

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Dorothy Graves
Archaeology

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

----- End forwarded message -----