stippler - Scree Painter

luca luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Sat Jan 15 10:27:49 CET 2011

Hi Ricardo,
i tried the software (just make it run). You are right, it has a goal
similar to stippler. Actually i think is not possible to use in the same
way that stippler, but we could try to collaborate with the
developers... By now the problem is that Scree Painter requires 4 data:

1    shaded relief map (for archaeological drawing purpose i guess it
should be easy to change this point with a norma picture, like for
stippler.           The  software accept tif, jpg png grayscale, so more
formats than stippler)

2    DEM (that's a problem. The software does not work without. We would
need this required point as an option (just to get drawing from 3d
models), but till it is a necessary a DEM it is not possible to use
Scree Painter to draw finds from just a simple picture (like in
stippler). The other problem is that the software accept ESRI ASCII
Grid, so if we want to use to draw 3d object, we have to trasform the
ply or the VTK file in a ESRI Gris file, probably import the original
models inside a GIS (this point is still a little bit difficult to do. A
possibility would be: Meshlab trasform the model from ply to dxf
-loosing the textur-, Grass import the dxf and export the ESRI Grid. The
colour will be lost, but it should work. Anyway the real colour is not
necessary to draw the find)

3 Polygons. Here i don't understand very good. The software requires
polygons. There are to possigility:
     1 the software just insert polygons in the image. This would be
perfect, because would be possible to insert the lines to draw the
border of the     object and the details directly inside the image (and
not in post-processing like we do with stippler). But than i don't
understand why this               should be a requirement (it should be
just an option).
     2 I fear that Scree Painter does not use the algorythm of Adrian
Seocrd (the one of stippler) to display the dots in the rigth place, but
simply puts     dots in a different way, according to the iso-lines.
This would explain why the polygons are needed by the software. If so,
it is not possible to use     Scree Painter for the atomatic
archaeological drawing

4 Obstacle Mask. This is very usefull to choose areas that has not to be
stippled.

Soon, i hope, i will try to do an image, so i can understand better how
the software works (expeciakky if it uses an algorithm to displace the
dots according to the shadows of the image, that it is what we need. if
so we could try to contact the programmers or thry to modify the source
code to delete some requirements and make the software work also with
just 2d picture (the 3d should be just an option).

Ciao.