ArcheOS 5 test during Open Techne UNESCO master

Luca Bezzi luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Mon Apr 14 09:22:19 CEST 2014

Hi all,
I took the occasion to test ArcheOS 5 during my lessons (2D
photomapping) in the UNESCO master Open Techne. Here are some reports:

1) to build the iso image I had to follow the indications Fabrizio wrote
in this email:
http://lists.linux.it/pipermail/archeos/2014-April/000557.html

2) a mandatory software is missing:

Kate (but in archeos-meta is already in the archeos-office metapackage:
https://github.com/archeos/archeos-meta/blob/master/debian/control);
could it be that archeos-meta is not updated when is building the iso?

3) some system utilities are missing (they are useful to do not scare
too much new user about GNU/Linux system; I experimented it during the
lessons)

Synaptic and an archiving tool able to read zip files (Ark? or something
similar)
Could we put these software (and eventually similar applications) into a
metapackage (e.g. archeos-utilities or archeos-system-utilities)?

4) a mandatory software is outdated: QGIS (actual version: 2.2, in
ArcheOS 5 1.7). The problem is that for ArcheOS 4 we took QGIS from
GFOSS repository, but that repository seems to be outdated, while QGIS
has actual packages in its own repository:

deb     http://qgis.org/debian wheezy main
deb-src http://qgis.org/debian wheezy main

We should update the repos, so that we can use directly QGIS 2.2, which has some very important new options (soon a videotutorial about it)

5) Some QGIS plugin are necessary for specific archaeological workflow or to simplify some operations (e.g. CADTools, PyArchInit,
QuickWKT, etc..). Can we manage the problem like we did for ArcheOS 4 (a specific package with all the extensions and a postcript)?
I think it would be the best option

6) It was possible to install OpenJUMP 1.3 from ArcheOS 4 repos both on 32 and 64 machines. It would be very fast to do a
new package (not a clean source but anyway an indipendent architecture package) with OpenJUMP 1.6. Can we do something like this,
while waiting to understand the correct specifications for java source packagig?

For the rest, regarding what I taught, ArcheOS 5 is almost ready.

Nice greetings to everybody.