archeos-gis review

Luca Bezzi luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Wed Nov 25 16:52:06 CET 2015

Hi,
I just reviews archeos-gis metapackage. Here is a fast reposrt:
Main question:

1. Which version of GRASS GIS should we provide?
2. Should we go on in keeping OpenJUMP in ArcheOS?
3. Spatialite-GIS is really necessary?
OpenJUMP and Spatialite-GIS should be packaged

Changelog: Up to now there are no changes in this session (SAGA and uDIG
are dismissed since ArcheOS Theodoric).

My personal considerations:

1. the stable version of GRASS is 7, we should provide this version (I
tested it for a long time in ArcheOS Theodoric and everything workd
fine). There is no package in Jessie for it. A fast solution could be a
backport from stretch (testing). GRASS 7 is considered the stable
release by GRASS developer team. What do you think about it @Fabrizio?
The backport could work?

2. Thanks to the good drawing vector tool of QGIS (in the last version),
OpenJUMP is no more mandatory IMHO. We just have a small bug:
Polygontool (https://github.com/keulemaster/Polygontool), a tool that
can spare days (month?) of work inbig field survay campaign just export
format for openjump. Other tool (e.g. in QGIS or gvSIG can do almost the
same things, but not everything). I guess we should test better these
tools on a big survey campaign and later choose

3. I think that sooner or later QGIS will also be able to handle sqlite
and spatialite data in a better way. We could consider this software as
optional by now.

Anyway both OpenJUMp and Spatialite-GIS were packaged for
ArcheOS-Theodoric. we could see if it is not too difficult to migrate
these packages to archeos-next.
<https://packages.debian.org/stretch/grass>