Total station data management

Domenico Giusti dncgst@gnewarchaeology.it
Thu Jun 2 20:34:18 CEST 2016

Hi all,

it's more than 2 years (since my first impact with it) that I'm
thinking to replace the EDM software[0] with a FLOSS alternative.

[0] http://www.oldstoneage.com/software/edmwin.shtml

We use it in the fieldwork with a toughbook connected to the total
station. EDM basically opens a connection with the ts and records the
data in a Access database. It has a simple interface to the database,
where coordinates are read from the ts and other fields are filled by
the user. It has a config file, with a list of the database fields.

Compared to a stand-alone ts, the toughbook offers several advances:
e.g. fast typing and a ready-to-use database.

However, EDM has several bugs and it's close. It could be much better, I
think.

I wonder if a FLOSS alternative to EDM already exists. If not, it would
be nice to code it and integrate it in ArcheOS.

TOPS could be a starting point.

What do you think?

--
Domenico Giusti <dncgst@gnewarchaeology.it>