[FoLUG]Fwd: Re: Hard Disk based distro

Alessandro Ronchi folug@lists.linux.it
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:22:17 +0200

Riposto il messaggio per chi si è stupito del funzionamento di knoppix questa
sera. Questa mail contiene il comando per installare la knoppix su hard disk.

----------  Messaggio inoltrato  ----------

Subject: Re: Hard Disk based distro
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 01:15:48 +0200
From: Klaus Knopper <knopper@knopper.net>
To: Alessandro Ronchi <ronchi@CsR.UniBo.It>
Cc: info@knopper.net

Hello Alessandro,

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:24:20AM +0200, Alessandro Ronchi wrote:
> Why don't you put your great configuration and installation tool on a
> standard Debian, or release a version that install the software on a hard
> disk?

I leave that up to the Debian team. If they chose to include any of my
hardware detection on the standard Debian distribution, great. If not,
no problem for me.

Btw, you can turn Knoppix into a standard Debian harddisk installation
with

sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall
(which is the Knoppix installer, written by Christian Perle).

(English language supported from 01-10-2002 and up).

> If you put out a similar distro, based on debian, but with your
> installation and configuration tool, a lot of people will download, use and
> purchase it!

I have no interest in mass-selling a product. My business model is
customizing, support and consulting, as is the mainstream business in
open source development. If you would like to, feel free to
modify and sell the CD (or another Debian derivate) on your own, which
is what many people do.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper
--
Dipl.-Ing. Klaus Knopper                              Dansenberger Straße 44
Phone+Fax: +49 631 51504                              67661 Kaiserslautern

Alessandro Ronchi,
http://students.csr.unibo.it/~ronchi