[LTP] fs test failure on quad core

Cyril Hrubis chrubis@suse.cz
Thu Apr 21 10:58:29 CEST 2016

Hi!
> I am using ltp-full-20150903 to test some eMMCs on an Intel platform. I
> slightly modify the script 'fs' and keep only iogen and rwtests. The tests
> always results in I/O errors when I am using 4 cores, if I limit my system
> to 2 cores the Test passes (no errors for over 6 hours). I have confirmed
> this on at least 10 different types of eMMCs.
> The errors are mostly I/O errors that appear after 5-10 minutes of running
> the test mostly with test type iogen01. They consists of Buffer I/O errors
> followed by interrupt timeouts and ADMA errors. After this point the eMMC
> becomes useless i.e. cannot be read, written, mounted or unmounted till a
> system reboot.

This pretty much sounds like a hardware/kernel bug.

> With the above results I can point my finger straight at the four cores and
> the fact that several threads work simultaneously to generate the stress.
> Are you aware of any particular parameter which one must set when running
> the tests on quad core systems ? or has such an issue been previously
> reported ?

No parameters needed. If a device driver stops working after stressing
it with reads/writes it's likely not a problem with the test or test
setup but hardware/kernel bug.

I would check, for a start, that the system does not overheat during the
test (or under load) and also run a memtest on it over night.