[LTP] MD-RAID: Use seq_putc() in three status functions?

Hannes Reinecke hare@suse.de
Mon Oct 17 19:18:35 CEST 2016

On 10/17/2016 06:08 PM, SF Markus Elfring wrote:
>>> * Would you really like to know under which circumstances data processing
>>>   will be faster for a single character instead of using a string pointer
>>>   and corresponding two characters?
>>>
>> It's not a problem of the interface, it's a problem of the resulting code
>> (ie assembler output).
>
> How do you think about to discuss concrete generated code any further?

Sure. Show me the generated code and point out where the benefits are.

>> We can discuss all we like, if the compiler decides to throw in
>> an optimisation none of the arguments even apply.
>
> Would it make sense to clarify assembler output with optimisation switched off?
>
> Do you eventually care for code from non-optimising compilers?

No. This is the linux kernel. There is a very, _very_ limited benefit of
trying to use a non-standard compiler.

>>> * Will it occasionally be useful to avoid the storage for another string literal?
>>>
>> Occasionally: yes.
>> In this particular case: hardly.
>
> I am curious when such a software design aspect can become more relevant.
> Would it be nice to get rid of three questionable string terminators (null bytes)
> for example?

Again, all this does it trying to out-guess what the compiler might be
doing during compilation. For which the easiest method is checking.
So back to the original task for you: Show me in the generated output
where the benefits are.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@suse.de			      +49 911 74053 688