[LTP] [RFC] new LTP testrunner

Jan Stancek jstancek@redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 16:33:29 CEST 2018

----- Original Message -----
> Hi!
> I've been playing with the idea of replacing the runltp + ltp-pan with
> something more modern and prototyped another take on the new LTP
> testrunner during this SUSE hackweek.
>
> The key point of the new testrunner is that the logic that executes the
> testcases and writes down the test results is being run on a separate
> machine so that we can outlive and recover from kernel crashes.

Hi,

first impression comments below. I know you want
to avoid "one solution fits all", but I'm listing
some RFEs that I think are common.

- "installation of the system is left out"
Agreed, there are many provisioning solutions out there.

- replacing runltp + ltp-pan
What I'm missing is the local use-case we have now. Something
like backend:local, that will run the test on local system
and produce same format of results. ssh into localhost
adds complexity - some test wrapper might not know the
password for system it has been spawned on.

The way we coped with (fatal) issues is pre-processing
runtest files based on kernel version, package versions,
architecture, etc.

IMO backend:local (and ssh) might be closest to what people do now.

- RFE: filter tests
have ability to run only some tests based on some filter
which is very common question I get about runltp

- RFE: skip build/installation
for some cross-compiling users

- "All backends needs to be able to reach internet"
Why is this needed?

Regards,
Jan