[LTP] msgstress SysV IPC testing suite

Andrea Cervesato andrea.cervesato@suse.com
Mon Feb 5 13:36:13 CET 2024

Hi all,

I was taking a look msgstress testing suite that is supposed to stress
the kernel SysV IPC.
It's a well known testing suite that used to randomly stuck or fail, due
to the poorly written code.

I'm about to refactor its code, but I noticed that all 4 tests inside it
(msgstress01-04) are basically implementing the same concept, if not the
same code that looks copy-pasted.

We basically have 2 or more processes reading/writing messages into the
SysV IPC at the same time.
If all messages are correctly sent and received, the test passes. The
only difference is if these processes are spawned inside children or not.

So I have a quite obvious observation: our main goal is to stress the
SysV IPC, so we can trigger a bug and it doesn't matter if this is done
inside children or not.

I'm planning to remove all those tests and to write a new one following
the main concept, but without the actual redundancy. What do you think?

Regards,
Andrea Cervesato