[LTP] Cleanup IA-64 related code?

Li Wang liwang@redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 03:16:50 CET 2024

Hi All,

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 1:20 AM Petr Vorel <petr.vorel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Helge, Li,
>
> > On 11/20/23 09:11, Li Wang wrote:
> > > Hi all,
>
> > > I noticed that the mainline kernel is declaring to dropp support for
> > > Itanium IA-64, actually, the commit[1] has been merged in v6.7-rc2.
>
> > > I am now thinking should we do the same action for LTP in the
> > > main branch to keep consistent with the mainline kernel?
>
> > Upstream kernel dropped IA-64 for future releases, but it's still being
> > used the next few years with existing kernels, machines and
> distributions,
> > so I suggest to not *pro-actively* dropping existing code yet.
> > E.g. it's still supported on debian until end of the current debian
> releases.
>
> > Just my 2c.
>
> I would keep it at least in this upcoming release. I also wonder if anybody
> tests IA-64 with new LTP, i.e. how long we should keep it in LTP before
> removing.

Good question. I have the same query.

>From what I think, we'd better keep the arch support list consistent
with the mainline kernel. If some additional distros (e.g Debian)
hope to extend the life of IA64 support, choosing the old LTP release
package should work.

The latest main branch of LTP maintains appropriate compatibility
and don't want too much, which might be the right way to develop.

--
Regards,
Li Wang