[LTP] New LTP documentation!

Andrea Cervesato andrea.cervesato@suse.com
Mon Mar 18 13:41:38 CET 2024

Hello everyone,

as already mentioned in the monthly LTP meeting, Linux Test Project
lacks of a nice and clean documentation that can be easily accessed by
users, developers and maintainers.
The current LTP documentation is also not matching with our expectancy
towards the entire project, which is has been heavily refactored and it
has changed in the past years, providing a higher quality code and new
testing features.

For this reasons, we think it's time to move forward and to start
working on documentation, helping people to use, to develop and to
maintain LTP in an easier way, increasing quality of the overall project
and to call more developers in the community.

I started to work on documentation refactoring, re-organizing the
overall structure. The first prototype can be found here:

https://ltp-acerv.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

The idea is to move documents from the current asciidoc format to RST
format, following the current kernel docs guide lines [1], and to move
API headers descriptions from regular C comments to Doxygen format.
By using the powerful readthedocs service [2], it's possible to deploy a
documentation website with one simple setup, using Sphinx [3] as the
main documentation framework.

For now, website prototype is showing a couple of pages, but the overall
structure is there and ready to be filled.

The purpose of this email is to ask for feedback and ideas from the LTP
community, so we can make documentation even better. Let me know what
you think.

Have a good day,
Andrea Cervesato

[1] https://docs.kernel.org/doc-guide/sphinx.html#writing-documentation