newsscan

Francesco Potorti` tp@lists.linux.it
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:51:48 +0200

WORTH THINKING ABOUT: WHAT MAKES A GOOD TRANSLATION?
      When J.B. Phillips set out to translate the New Testament into modern
English he tested the quality of his work on three criteria worth our
attention. (Is there any translation software that can meet these three
criteria yet?)
      "There seem to be three necessary tests which any work of
transference from one language to another must pass before it can be
classed as good translation. The first is simply that it must not sound
like a translation at all. If it is skillfully done, and we are not
previously informed, we should be quite unaware that it is a translation,
even though the work we are reading is far distant from us in both time and
place. That is a first, and indeed fundamental test, but it is not by
itself sufficient. For the translator himself may be a skillful writer, and
although he may have conveyed the essential meaning, characterization and
plot of the original author, he may have so strong a style of his own that
he completely changes that of the original author. The example of this kind
of translation which springs most readily to my mind is Fitzgerald's
Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám. I would therefore make this the second test: that
a translator does his work with the least possible obtrusion of his own
personality. The third and final test which a good translator should be
able to pass is that of being able to produce in the hearts and minds of
his readers an effect equivalent to that produced by the author upon his
original readers. Of course no translator living would claim that his work
successfully achieved these three ideals. But he must bear them in mind
constantly as principles for his guidance."