Torneo di Nethack 2003

Massimiliano Vessi maxint@despammed.com
Mar 4 Nov 2003 23:43:05 CET

A mezzanotte di Halloween è cominciato il torneo 2003 di nethack,
vinca il migliore!
Ecco il manifesto ufficiale:

#####
The NetHack season is upon us once again.  Tonight (Halloween) at
midnight
Pacific U.S. Time, /dev/null's Fifth Annual NetHack Tournament
(http://nethack.devnull.net) opens. As with past years, the Tournament
is open
to anyone who'd like to play. We're also open to anyone who'd like to
volunteer
to run a game server since, though we have a four servers distributed
around
North America so far, play can be slow across the transoceanic links.

/dev/null is a loose association of networking geeks, unincorporated
and
noncommercial.  We just do this for giggles; we make no money from
this other
than what folks feel like donating.

The prize structure going in, as we're always open to suggestions to
change
this during the Tournament, is:

 Prizes

  The "standard" prizes will go to:
   Highest Score
   1st, 2nd and 3rd Highest Score in each class
  The "additional" prizes will go to:
   Most Ascensions
   Lowest Scored Ascension
   Most Unique Deaths

 Server Requirements

This year's Tournament will begin with servers in California, Colorado
and
Alberta, but with servers in Oregon and Finland hopefully coming
online in the
first few days.  Since we always appreciate additional volunteer
servers to
help speed the game play up for folks not near an existing host,
here's roughly
what you need to volunteer a game server (Remember, before
volunteering, that
anyone with admin level access to a game server box is not allowed to
compete.
So don't volunteer to host if you want to be a contender):

 a multi-user 3.4.2 NetHack installation (thus, probably, a Unix of
some sort;
the /dev/null server is an OpenBSD system)
 a copy of our game server kit (http://nethack.devnull.net/software)
 sufficient speed/disk/memory to support 1000 player accounts and 25
concurrent
players (ours is a P133 with 32M of memory and 5G of disk)
 a dedicated Internet connection (ours is on a T1; cable modems and
DSL will
work fine, but it's dificult to do unless you have static IP numbers)
 since NetHack needs real user accounts, we'd recommend that it be a
dedicated
system (the players will need to be entered in /etc/passwd to play on
the box)

Our thanks to Slashdot and Kuro5hin for posting the past years'
Tournament
notices; we had over 1000 players last year, who played over 15,000
games
during the Tournament.
#####

Ciao,