Packages

Michel Briand michelbriand@free.fr
Fri Oct 30 09:28:32 CET 2009

Fabrizio Furnari <fab.furnari@gmail.com> - Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:14:37
+0200

>I'd like to inaugurate this new ML starting with a simple consideration on
>how to manage the packages on the new version of ArcheOS; let me know if I'm
>saying something wrong or if you don't agree:
>
>   - For packages available in the standard Debian repositories (eg. R,
>   GPSDrive) we must decide a "freezing" date. After that, as in many other
>   distros, the package must be updated only in case of bugs and security
>   alerts.
>   - For package not available in repositories, either debs or source code
>   packages, the freezing date can be a little more delayed, due to the large
>   number of packages distributed in this way and the time spent on each
>   package to build the deb on it.
>   - After the "freezing date" a wiki page with the list of all the packages
>   installed (either via apt-get or via other sources) must be kept clean from
>   alteration.
>   - After the freezing date the "packages" folder in the GIT repos must not
>   be updated/modified
>
>What do you think about?

Hello all,

I'm on a very similar project in France, called Myosotis [1].

We have a Debian repository [2] with a few packages that we add to
Debian lenny to achieve a stable configuration for 3D.

We may want to gather with ArcheOS and contribute to have good packages
to integrate in our respective Debian archives. Or better try to find
enough common base to share a common archive.

What we aim is to provide a stable configuration for archeologists for
3D modeling and rendering.

Practically, we have free hosting at Tuxfamily and I plan to move my
Debian repository there.

We also plan to share our packaging scripts : that get the source code
from FOSS we've chosen, and do the process of build, test, transfert
them to the archive.

Those scripts could be extended so that they provide a good help for the
integration process both for Myosotis and ArcheOS.

Is there anyone interested in discussing about FreeWRL, Blender, ...

Cheers,
Michel Briand