artwork situation

Fabrizio Furnari fab.furnari@gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 12:56:28 CEST 2010

Hi all,
we're reconstructing a bit the way we build the image. We're trying, to be
more precise, to relate everything to a debian package.
The artwork situation could be explanatory: at the moment we use files in
config/chroot_local-includes/...... to provide customization for the various
apps (gconf, mainly, but also iceweasel and so on). This solution,
althoughuseful for the GIT repository, is not the most "clean" one.
So for the artwork we've decided to act as GNOME does: integrating the gconf
and other application customization into packages.
I've created a package called archeos-artwork that will be available soon
into the archeos repositories (repos.archeos.eu) that contains files
(wallpaper, login screen, etc...) along with customization file (placed into
/usr/share/artwork/gconf-settings).
When the package will be installed the postinst script updates the gconf
configuration to include the settings stored into that file.
This has many pros:

   - The artwork is located in only one package, so installing it could
   (theorically) transform your distribution into an ArcheOS like (only for the
   artwork!)
   - All configuration is stored in only one file:
   (/usr/share/artwork/gconf-settings.
   This allow us to have a quick and "at a glance" look at all the
   customizations.
   - No more quick-and-dirty scripts to generate gconf mandatory settings.

Obviously we've also some troubles with that:

   1. We've not tried it anymore
   2. We don't know if the settings needs to be reloaded each time the
   system reboots. Gnome for example uses a script located into /etc/init.d/ to
   do that.
   3. Possible conflicts with the gdm/gnome packages?

So, asap I'll test it intensively trying to build an Alpha with this new
package.
And now...We're looking for some good (or also bad) graphic designer to draw
logos, banners and other (very simple) things. Who's interested please write
in this ML or reply to this mail.

Thanks for reading 'til there.

Fabrizio
--