LaTeX - Editors and bibliography managers

Ricardo Gaidão caioviator@yahoo.com.br
Tue Dec 14 21:40:18 CET 2010

LaTeX is a powerful tool for creating scientific documents. Is a fact that archeology papers frequently include ancient alphabets, special text references, mathematic symbols and graphics. LaTeX makes all this possible and even more, like including video or 3D models.
Kile is a good LaTeX editor but requires a lot of KDE libraries, but there's other similar options like Texmaker.

A good bibliography management software should also be include (i.e. Pybliographer, KBibTeX ...).

Denis Francisci said:

I've tested kile for latex and we could install:

- texlive-fonts-extra (for archaic font, eg. greek, etruscan, cuneiform,
linear A, hieroglif.....)

- texlive-latex-recommended (very important)

- texlive-latex-extra (less important but usefull)

They are in repository but require a bit of space (more than 50M I think):
it could be a problem, but first and second are usefull for archaeologists
IMHO.