Fwd: sourcerepo.com Disk Quota Overage

Fabrizio Furnari fab.furnari@email.it
Fri Jul 30 10:45:12 CEST 2010

Hi all.
We're experiencing some problems with pur repository: after adding some very
large files, we're run quickly out of space on the sourcerepo servers (as
you can see from the message below).
Now we've some possibilities:

   1. Upgrade the sourcerepo space. As you can see from
   http://sourcerepo.com/, we can upgrade to level 2 or level 3 to have,
   respectively, 1Gb or 3Gb of storage. Will this be enough?
   2. Move the repository to another server. Now that we've the slicehost
   VPS we could try to move the GIT repository directly there and try to
   connect the sourcerepo Redmine to the server. Should be possible but we must
   consider bandwidth.
   3. Move the GIT repository to an our personal server, like university or
   similar. In this case we should have a public server (with a public IP and
   some open ports) and we should do some extra works to rebuild the
   environment, but should be possible.
   4. Exclude from the repository the largest files. At the moments a few
   packages are very very large and every time that we do a modification (also
   small) on one of these files, GIT saves another copy of the file. We could
   try to exclude the packages form the repository, delete old copies and copy
   it on a server. Every time we'll build the image we must download the
   updated packages in the correct folder.
   5. A similar solution (but best IMHO) is to build a REAL debian
   repository. Packages will be upladed into the repository, an entry (in the
   sources.list file) will link it to the distribution and voilà!. Pros: adding
   the repository offers more flexibility to the distribution, eg. allowing us
   to "push" packages updates into archeos, or distributing patch and similar
   when ArcheOS will be complete. Cons: extra work, we need to find a
   repository :)
   6. Other ideas?

Ciao,

Fabrizio