Last news for ArcheOS

luca luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Thu Dec 22 11:11:27 CET 2011

Hi all,
sorry for the long silence... the discussion in the italian mailing list
went on a little bit, but we did not have time to translate the news in
english.
I try to summirize.
In the last weeks there were many new proposals for software to be
included in ArcheOS. The last one came yesterday and reguards InVesalius
(http://svn.softwarepublico.gov.br/trac/invesalius), a software for
which elaborates medical data (especially from CT or MRI equipements),
which could be usefull for mummiology. For this reason we chose the
strategy for the next teps in ArcheOS development:

1) to freeze the software proposals to release an ArcheOS Caesar beta
(also because the alfa is pretty stable)

2) to finish the packaging for the beta release (especially with the
package of the QGIS plugins we consider useful in archaeology:
http://arc-team-open-research.blogspot.com/2011/11/qgis-python-plugins-call-for.html).
This means to package VTP (http://vterrain.org/) and some other smaller
software
(http://arc-team-open-research.blogspot.com/2011/12/qgis-and-virtual-terrain-project.html).
All the new proposals will refer to ArcheOS testing.

3) to choose the name of next ArcheOS release
(http://www.archeos.eu/wiki/doku.php?id=archeos_next)

4) to package the new software for ArcheOS next release in a new way.
Untill now we prepared binary package, but Fabrizio proposed a new way
to prepare .deb package from sourcecode, which will be architecture
indipendet. This means that, if we follow this new way, the next release
of ArcheOS will be able to run also on 64 bit machine. Fabrizio also
proposed to orginize the software in metapackage (GIS, CAd, etc...) and
this will be useful during ArcheOS installation and management.

Well, i think it is almost everything.
Let us know what do you think about it.
Greetings