webgis - database in archeos

luca luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Mon Feb 14 15:06:38 CET 2011

On 13/02/11 19:56, Marcus Schneider wrote:
> Hi Luca,

Hi Marcus

> oh, we all have just 24h to spent, and someone like me needs to waist
> a couple of hours for sleeping ....
>
> I know, willing to give a standart to a data collecting system like a
> database, and this on an international level is .. i hate to say it ..
> quiet impossible.
> Looking here at Germany, you have 16 regional services, but a lot more
> trials to catalogize data. Many of the systems i worked with, started
> at the level of a simple excavation database, and became the long the
> time a complex system willing to store data for the whole region.
>  Most of these projects failed at the one or the other end.

Yes, i know in Germany the situaztion is pretty difficoult, cause of the
different situation in the different /Ländern./

//

> What I am looking for, is a database,
> - which is not closed source ( I don't deny the quality of Access, but
> not everyone will or can afford the costs)

If you mean Microsoft Acces, in ArcheOS you can do more or less the same
things with Base (In OpenOffice)

> - where the data can be stored in an open format (readable by other
> programs "xml ?")

Yes, there are many archaeological projects about it. xml could be a
solution (maybe better a gml).

> - and for the moment i only want to store excavation data as simple
> as: description of the structure, and the gestion of the dokumentation
> data (foto-nr etc.), as simple as that (o.k. i am just kidding, it's a
> little bit more complicated).

This is not so difficoult to do. A possibility would be a database in
Posgres with postgis (both in ArcheOS), maybe with a GUI in PHP. Or with
SQLite and Spatialite (always in ArcheOS).

> For myself I was trying to write a system web-based on php, mysql: but
> i have to say, i failed, i don't have the time, and not the capacity
> to do this.

Yes, what i am trying to understand is if would be interesting for the
comunity to have a system like this, already integrated in ArcheOS (but
based on a webgis, so that would be possible to store also geographical
information).

> I think the idea in first collecting data sheets "around the world"
> and finding the commons, is a good start. Because at the end we all do
> the same thing, we are just following different scolars.

Yes, at least all archaeologists speak (or should speak) the same language.

> If you know someone who would be capable to do this work, it would be
> great, and i am shure their will be a lot of people, very greatful .
> I can sent you a couple of description sheets of different regional
> services; will to have them translated before.
> Eventually if you are interested i can sent you the table structure of
> one or two db, as a kind of modell, if you wish.
> Perhaps this will take a while, evtl. I find a minute in between.

Yes, the idea would be to collect some different description sheets,
from different countries, and find some minimum field that are really
necessary (more or less like the programmers do in the KISS way:) (Keep
It Simple, Stupid). So that we could insert a structured database
connected with a webgis. Does not have to be something complicate (the
simpler, the better!), but something "universal" (so it is easier if it
is simple).
Anyway we can always start with something basic, and add new filelds
along the way.
E.G. in a database like this, could be a recording sheet where just some
(few) fields (the very basic and "universal") are necessary to be
compiled, the aother are just something more. It would be possible to
separate the fields in a chromatica way, e.g. red fields are required,
black field are optional (it is just an idea).

> Greetings

Greetings