SFM software - Point cloud alignment

Ricardo Gaidão caioviator@yahoo.com.br
Sat Jan 8 21:22:25 CET 2011

SFM software like Bundler, PMVS2, CMVS enable to create accurate colored point clouds from digital photos.

Meshlab can be used to rescale those point clouds and create colored meshes using point color information.

Unfortunately remains the problem of point cloud alignment.

Nathan M. Craig and Mark Willis developed methods to assign real word coordinates to this point clouds.

The process is something complex and demands many steps.

For majority of archaeologists an automatic point and click solution would be better.

Maybe some kind of Meshlab plugin, that allow the user to individually select and edit some reference points in the model. Making possible to attribute them real world coordinates.

Other secondary problem is the lack of a solution to transform the photos used by SFM software into textures to map the models created from those point clouds.

Ricardo