Using osm-bundler and Meshlab to create a texturized mesh

Ricardo Gaidão caioviator@yahoo.com.br
Sun May 27 12:40:46 CEST 2012

There's a lack of online documentation regarding this topic.

Apparently Meshlab new versions can open and use bundle.out files,
created with osm-bundle, to map and project photos over a mesh.

I tried this new feature, but sometimes the texture is created with
many blanck spaces or wrong coordinates. Even when camera(s)
projection cover all the model.

What steps are necessary to do this in a right way?

I just followed the small help hints provided by Meshlab itself.

Some steps may be wrong or redundant:

1) Run Meshlab

1) Open "bundle.out" file

2) open "list.txt" image list file

3) Add "option-0000.ply" point cloud file as new layer

4) Create mesh from *.ply file using "poisson surface reconstruction" filter

   Filters -> Point set -> Surface Reconstruction: Poisson

5) Create parametrization

   Filters -> Texture -> Trivial Per-Triangle parametrization

6) Project images to mesh

   Filters -> Texture -> Project active rasters color to current mesh, filling the texture

   Filters -> Texture -> Flat plane parametrization

   run once again

   Filters -> Texture -> Project active rasters color to current mesh, filling the texture

Can't understand why sometimes it work and others dont't.

Specially in simple cases like projecting a single image over a flat surface, when the
 created texture only cover a small part of the mesh.