archeos-db metapackage

luca.bezzi luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Sun Jan 20 18:32:10 CET 2013

HI all,
we are going on with the development of ArcheOS Theodoric, thanks also to the big help of Romain Janvier, who joined the project and already packaged a lot of software :).Regarding software selection and metapackages:Actually we can considered close the archeos-cad metapackage, which includes LibreCAD and FreeCAD. Thanks to the help of Alessandro Camiz, who tried BRLCAD, we decided to not include (by now) this other CAD in ArcheOS. It looks like it is a little bit too complex for archaeological/architectural needs. Anyway we will keep it under observation, to see if there are specific projects in which it is necessary to work with such a CAD.

We would like now to go on with the next metapackage: archeos-db (database). The old (ArcheOS Caesar) software list is:1) pgadmin3
2) phpPgAdmin
3) pgDesigner
4) PostgreSQL
5) PostGIS
6) sqlite3
7) SQLite Data Browser
8) spatialite
9) spatialite-gui
10) spatialite-gis
11)  Tellico
12) Zotero (as iceweasel extension)

If you have any suggestion about this metapackage, please send a mail in this mailing list during the next two weeks. We have already some feedback from Romain:

1) software to add --> MongoDB (http://www.mongodb.org/), a scalable,
    high-performance, open source NoSQL database

2) better software selection --> replace Tellico with a Zotero standalone version (less invasive than in the browser and with a specific menu entry). The two software are pretty similar, but Zotero is more "academic".

So let us know what you think about it. As usual, for a direct interaction during ArcheOS development, you can use our IRC channel (server: FreeNode; channel: #archeos).Ciao.