geany

Denis Francisci denis.francisci@gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 19:10:19 CEST 2014

Hi all,
For Theoderic, I would suggest to replace Kate with Geany (
http://www.geany.org/).
They are very similar, but in my opinion Geany is better because of 4
advantages:
1. it has less dependencies than Kate (Kate is the KDE editor and need a
lot of KDE dependencies);
2. for this reason Geany is smaller and faster than Kate;
3. it is multi-platform;
4. Geany has block/column selection like Kate, but with Geany is possible
not only selecting, copying, pasting and deleting in column mode, but also
WRITING in column mode, a feature that Kate doesn't support.
The column mode writing is very useful for us when we have to edit
coordinates file for example. This feature make Geany very similar to
Notepad++ (only for Windows) or to UltraEdit (commercial software).

I'm testing this software and I'm very satisfied. If other users would test
Geany in these days, we could think to add it in ArcheOS very soon. Debian
package already exists, so the replacement wouldn't be difficult for us.

Bye
Denis