Debian derivatives census: ArcheOS: status?

Luca Bezzi luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Sat Mar 16 04:29:52 CET 2019

Dear Paul,
I am Luca, one of the developers of ArcheOS.
Regarding its status, I have to say that we have problems in further
develop our project due to the fact we did not have a great feedback
from the community of ArcheOS. The problem was/is that most of the
archaeologists that approached ArcheOS became users, but not developers.
Thank to the help of Fabrizio Furnari we were able to move the project
to Debian and start source packaging (also thanks the great help of the
French archaeologist Romain Janvier), but maybe the step has been to big
for us, because of the amount of hours to dedicate to packaging. Me and
my friends of Arc-Team are very busy with our work (and families :)) and
all we were able to do in the last years was to test new software to add
into ArcheOS (the software selections takes us a lot of time because we
have to use the software in professional projects to understand which of
the many solutions is the best and often we have to use a combination of
several software of the same time, e.g. GIS, to reach a good
compromise). Moreover we started in 2006 to work with open hardware in
archaeology, especially for extreme missions (UAV, ROV, etc...), and its
integration with ArcheOS takes also a lot of time (currently we re using
ROS with several SLAM nodes). The result is that we are going on in
experimenting new things, with good results, continuously updating our
ArcheOS version, without being able to release a community version (with
repositories and all).

Do you think it would be possible to transform ArcheOS into an official
Debian project or subproject, in order to have an help in
source-packaging (or also just in packaging)?
Is Debian Pure Blend something similar?
We are open to any solutions

PS
we are also not able to update in time our research in our blog ATOR
(http://arc-team-open-research.blogspot.com/), but I will try to write
more in the next months

Thanks for your time and have a nice day!