Debian derivatives census: ArcheOS: status?

Paul Wise pabs@debian.org
Sat Mar 16 04:52:08 CET 2019

On Fri, 2019-03-15 at 11:16 +0100, Luca Bezzi wrote:

> No problem, just forward my message (sorry initially I just replied to
> you and later I added Alessandro and Fabrizio because they were involved
> in my answer but I did not check the CC of the original mail...

I've forwarded the thread and added to CC Stefano and the lists.

> This would be great! Could you give us some tips about how to start?

I think a first step would be to review the blends documentation in the
links I sent in a previous email. In addition there were a couple of
blends talks at DebConf that might be interesting to get some context.

https://debconf18.debconf.org/talks/42-tools-inside-blends-framework/
https://debconf17.debconf.org/talks/7/

> Yes. It would be nice to keep the name of the project to reactivate the
> old community. Do you think there would be problem about it?

Generally Debian blends seem to be named to include "Deb" or "Debian"
to add an association with Debian to their name. So something like
ArcheDebOS or Debian ArcheOS or similar. I'd suggest not calling it
something like Debian Archaeology anyway because that sounds like it
involves reading ancient Debian mailing list archives ;)

> we can start slowly to migrate ArcheOS into a Debian Pure Blend. Do
> you know if someone could help us in this migration?

I think the best option would be to discuss the process on the mailing
list for Debian blends and Andreas Tille, myself and others will help
out with replies and other actions that might be needed.

https://lists.debian.org/debian-blends/

> Is it OK when I post some news (also this discussion with you) on
> ATOR, to keep the community up to date?

Definitely.

> Yes, when we started we tried to open the world of archaeology to
> FLOSS and open knowledge...

Sounds like a great adventure, thanks for sharing that :)

> Debian is still considered "difficult"

I think that blends can help solve this issue in the same way as
ArcheOS attracted Windows users, by providing an easy mechanism to get
all the packages they need for their field.

> Unfortunately many times we have to keep a single obsolete GIS

The problem of software disappearing due to ecosystem changes is not
easy to solve properly but newer technology like Flatpak may in the
future make it easier to workaround the problem by keeping obsolete
packages installed in containers.

--
bye,
pabs