[ArcheOS] Fwd: SFM software - Point cloud alignment

Fabrizio Furnari fab.furnari@gmail.com
Sab 8 Gen 2011 21:53:40 CET

Hi, I forward it to the non-devel ML

sent from mobile

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Ricardo Gaidão" <caioviator@yahoo.com.br>
Date: Jan 8, 2011 9:22 PM
Subject: SFM software - Point cloud alignment
To: <archeos-dev@lists.linux.it>

SFM software like Bundler, PMVS2, CMVS enable to create accurate colored
point clouds from digital photos.

Meshlab can be used to rescale those point clouds and create colored meshes
using point color information.

Unfortunately remains the problem of point cloud alignment.

Nathan M. Craig and Mark Willis developed methods to assign real word
coordinates to this point clouds.

The process is something complex and demands many steps.

For majority of archaeologists an automatic point and click solution would
be better.

Maybe some kind of Meshlab plugin, that allow the user to individually
select and edit some reference points in the model. Making possible to
attribute them real world coordinates.

Other secondary problem is the lack of a solution to transform the photos
used by SFM software into textures to map the models created from those
point clouds.

Ricardo