[ArcheOS] Archaeological DB and webgis

luca luca.bezzi@arc-team.com
Sab 12 Mar 2011 12:12:29 CET

Hi All,
looks like the discussion about an archaeological DB in ArcheOS is
getting further. There are some messages also in our group on LinkedIN.
Summarizing, the main problem still remain the structure of the DB,
while almost everybody thinks that the best software solution is an SQL
language with PHP GUI. It semms that most of the users had experiences
with ICCD (Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo e la Documentazione)
specifications. Here are some of these indications (unfortunatley just
in Italian):
http://www.iccd.beniculturali.it/index.php?en/251/archaeological-heritage
Now i am also thinking that this could be a good starting point and
maybe it is possible to try to make these recording sheets more
international (with some necessary updates), so that they will be a
little bit more sharable. I know that Marcus is right when he says taht
this is a "kingsize" project, anyway let's say that is just an
experiment. We can start with the most common recording sheets, like the
stratigraphic Unit (that we compile every day), or the archaeological
Site (a little bit less common for me). Personally i will start to try
the Stratigraphic Unit of Covering, that i discover just today (i know i
am ignorant :)) and that solve a problem i have in the project i am
working on in these days (i used a normal Stratigraphic Unit instead,
but these new - for me - Stratigraphic Unit of Covering fits better). I
will try to compile these sheet and, if it is working good, i will
translate the fields (and maybe the documentation, if the author will
agree).
Hope to post soon some feedback

PS
I know that Denis was working on a geoarcheological recording sheet,
this could be a chanche to test it (i think that ICCD still did not
prepare such a sheet. By the way looks like that the one for
Anthropological finds is ready).

Ciao.