[ArcheOS] GPS track to polygon

Domenico Giusti dncgst@gnewarchaeology.it
Gio 17 Apr 2014 02:03:44 CEST

Hi all,

now I'm quite confused and I'm not sure if this is the right list, but I
would like to present an archaeological/methodological problem that is
not related to a development issue.

In few weeks I will leave the office for my first survey season and I'm
trying to change something in the methodology adopted in the past by the
project.

I've first created a spatial database to collect data from the survey,
and I'm now thinking about the workflow in the management of GPS data.

To be brief, we define a survey unit an area with unique geological and
macro-sedimentological characteristics. I want to import in the database
the polygon geometry of the survey unit, and I want to do in the table
of attributes of the SU.

We use an handheld GPS (GARMIN GPSmap62). A walk around the SU tracks
the bounding box of the SU.

How to transform the GPS track in a polygon?

I tried this workflow, but I'm sure that you can improve it.

http://www.wiki.gnewarchaeology.it/w/GPS_2D_polygons

Suggestions and critics are welcome!

Thanks,

--