[ArcheOS] Fwd: [open-archaeology] SAA 2015 session on 'Open Methods'

Domenico Giusti dncgst@gnewarchaeology.it
Ven 5 Set 2014 13:54:30 CEST

Hi all,

I forward the Call of Ben Marwick (recently very active on the ArcheOS
github) for the next SAA meeting at San Francisco, California on April
15-19, 2015.

It will be a very interesting session, and a very good excuse to visit
San Francisco...

Best,

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [open-archaeology] SAA 2015 session on 'Open Methods'
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:30:31 -0700
From: Ben Marwick <bmarwick@uw.edu>
To: open-archaeology@lists.okfn.org

Hi everyone,

Andy Bevan and I are organising a session at next year's SAA
conference on open methods in archaeology. We're inviting submissions.

Here is the official title and abstract of our session:

Session Title:
Open methods in archaeology: how to encourage reproducible research as
the default practice

Abstract:
Scientific progress famously depends on the evaluation of findings
through replication. Likewise, while social sciences and humanities
subjects may not always espouse this exact vision of how we build
knowledge, many researchers in these fields would argue that they too
can benefit from greater discursive transparency. However, as
archaeology and other research areas have become more complex,
especially with the use of computationally intensive methods, it has
become increasingly difficult to reproduce findings and efficiently
build on past research. While exact replication of results is sometimes
not feasible because of limitations of time and resources, minimal
standards of reproducibility are emerging as a norm of practice in
contemporary computational and biological sciences. These include
opening methods up for inspection by sharing and recognising code and
data as a citable research objects, and in some cases including them
directly and at an early stage in the peer review process. However,
there remain some significant and continuing impediments to enabling
such transparency in archaeology. In this session, we therefore wish to
discuss our prevailing norms in archaeology, showcase some current best
practice in terms of open methods, and advocate future directions for
improving the reproducibility of archaeological research.

Here are a few more notes on our vision for this session:

Our goal is to investigate prevailing norms in archaeology, showcase
some current best practice in terms of open methods, and advocate future
directions for improving the reproducibility of archaeological research.
 Papers will include 'how-to' elements and will be accompanied by
online compendia (eg. data and code repositories, continuous
integration, etc.) to allow others to study in depth the different tools
and approaches that enable reproducible research in archaeology. We
expect these examples will impact the way people work by making it easy
for them to adopt open methods to do reproducible research. The main
reasons why we want to promote reproducible research is because it more
transparently shows the correctness of research results and it enables
other researchers to easily make use of our methods and results in new
research.

Please don't hesitate to write with any questions, etc. We're not going
to be requesting slides or manuscripts to be circulated in advance, but
we do want papers to make substantial reference to online repositories
of code and/or data that audience members can access and interact with
(without restriction of course). Our current plan to follow-up the
session is a group-authored manifesto-type publication that summarizes
the current best practices that emerge in the session.

The deadline for abstract submission is 11 Sept. The simplest way is
probably to start here
https://ecommerce.saa.org/SAA_AbstractSubmission/Account/LogOn and fill
in your details and when it asks for a session ID, enter 741 to link
your abstract to our session.

best,

Ben

--
Ben Marwick, Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology
Denny Hall M32, Box 353100, University of Washington

t. (+1) 206.552.9450   e. bmarwick@uw.edu
f. (+1) 206.543.3285   w. http://faculty.washington.edu/bmarwick/