[Barcode] Some questions about barcode-0.95

Alessandro Rubini rubini@gnu.org
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 00:39:10 +0200

Hi.

> I have the following suggestions to make it even more usefull:
>
> *) The generated PS-code uses absolut values for positioning. Why not
> use normalized values and scale in x/y-direction?

Sorry, I didn't understand.

> *) Positioning of text should also be configurable to be above the
> bars with definable size.

This is not something I would do. If you want to write your own text,
you can always do that by writing your postscript and telling the
barcode library not to write any test.

The text is there because it is an integral part of some encoding
(like UPC and EAN, which includes ISBN). It is written in the way the
encoding expects it.  I don't know what the rules are for code39 and
all the others as far as text is concerned, so I just chose to write
it in the same way as EAN.

If the standard is different, I'm willing to fix the program. But I'm
not planning to add configurability for text positioning.

Well, this is my own position, it doesn't *have* to be right. If
someone implements text positioning and sizing, without breaking
generality, than I'll accept that.

BTW: I already have a patch that I must look at, it adds support for
generic text near the barcodes. It changes main.c, not the library, so
it is acceptable (only, I have to write the docs, as usual with
contributed patches).

Any comment is welcome
/alessandro