[barcode] announce: barcode recognizer 0.0.4

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat@ees2.oulu.fi
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:22:38 +0200 (EET)

Here's the new version of my barcode recognizer, version 0.0.4.
I also gave it a stupid name similar to CRAB but not exactly same
since it doesn't quite yet fit to the framework.

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/rel/grab-0.0.4.tar.gz

Test images:
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/tmp/grab-test-0.1.tar.bz2

This version should be pretty usable, and uses completely
new MSE-minimizing algorithm. The old algorithm is also
included (with bugs fixed) but you really shouldn't use it.

I'm disappointed because linear interpolation made the
results *worse* instead of improving it. Not much, but
too much. Also binarizing the image with a fixed threshold
value doesn't work too well (that's the weak point in my
program). I tried adaptive thresholding but it was worse
except for some test images with varying lightness.

Something different might be better... some kind of edge
detection? Any ideas?

There's also a README file that explains the internals.

If anyone is interested in recognizion of other codes
than code-128, please let me know.