[barcode] new user question

Franz Zahaurek fzk@gams.at
19 Mar 2002 19:43:04 +0100

Hallo Mark,

Mark Lehrer <mark@knm.org> writes:

> Hello there!  I am a bit new to barcodes & postscript and I have a
> learning experience ahead of me.
>
> I'm trying to print two barcodes, a logo, and some text onto labels;
> we have the standard 7x2 label sheets.
>
> What is the best way to do this; I am considering printing each label
> and the logo in EPS, and then creating one postscript file that
> arranges the 14 labels.  Does this sound like the easiest way to do it?
> Is there a postscript language reference available?

If emphasis is printing labels with text, eps-files etc. the really
easy way is LaTeX with the labels.sty. I can provide more details and
examples or take a look at www.dante.de.

If emphasis is printing barcodes and its text on lables I suggest
using GNU-barcode to generate the bar/space-sequence of the code in
question and use postscript to produce the layout. This is a rather
complex way but exact and efficient.

And last but not least GNU-barcode itself can print multiple lables on
one sheet with the -t option. I only found that the first row is
allways somehow different than the rest. Example:

barcode -u mm -b 123456 -b 234567 -b 345678 -b 456789 -e code39 -t 2x7 -m 10,10

- Franz
--
Franz Zahaurek                        fzk@gams.at
Gymnasiumstr. 26/7                    http://www.fzk.at