[barcode] Extended version of barcode utility

Andrea Scopece andrea.scopece@tiscali.it
Tue Dec 12 16:41:16 CET 2006

Hi Richard

On Thursday 07 December 2006 19:18, Richard Nolde wrote:
> List members:
>[...]

> Modified get_page_geometry to accept paper names so that these can be
> used when libpaper is not available. The table of paper names and sizes
> is the same as the one used by libpaper and can be edited if you wish.
> I have built an RPM of libpaper as well if anyone wants it.
I like it if it not depend on libpaper anymore...

> Standardized the edge reference for offsets to the top-left corner of
> the page for both Postscript and PCL. You can now specify a position on
> the page explictly and not worry about whether you have a Postscript or
> PCL printer.

I' am a bit concerned about this point,
normally in postscript programs the starting offset of the page
are at bottom-left while PCL programs use top-left offset.

When I coded the PCL parts of barcode, I decided
to use the default offset of each respective languages.

While I normally use PCL output and thus PCL coordinate system
I like to have the PCL behavior of page offset. (top-left 0,0)

I had never used Postscript language directly,
but I think that who use that language prefer to use
standard Postscript coordinate system (bottom-left 0,0)

> Added an origin reference option that will allow you to specify multiple
> barcodes begin at the top or bottom of the page, regardless of whether
> the output is Postscript or PCL.
Is this a workaround to the above described normal-usage ?

> Added an option to disable the default margins so that the edge of the
> barcode can be precisely located on the page.  Without this option, the
> edge of the barcode is offset from the position by the size of the
> default margin or any user specified margin.
Are you sure ?
Different printers have different hardare margins,
so those printers offest at their hardware margins.

> Added an option to specify Postscript font names and heights for both
> Postscript and PCL fonts that are available in recent HP printers, eg
> Helvetica@12.  This is only available when the encoding produces output
> below the bars and spaces and there are no descending bars to interrupt
> the flow of text.  When a fixed font is specified, the text will be
> properly kerned and centered under the barcode.
How if selected font is not available ?

> Added PJL support for modern HP printers since these do not seem to
> eject the page in PCL mode without PJL headers.  This, and the trailing
> formfeed can be disable with another option so that raw PCL and be
> output for inclusion in PCL data streams that are produced by an
> application which acts as its own printer driver.  If user requests
> warrant it, I can separate the PJL from the option to disable the formfeed.
>
> Let me know if anyone wants to test this code.
>
> Richard Nolde

Yes, I would like to try, it thank you.

Please send me the file directly at my e-mail-address,
(preferred tarball, or both, in case of rpm problems,
now I'm using Suse 10.1)

Best Regards

Andrea Scopece