[bglug] Nast (Network Analyzer Sniffer Tool) is out!

embyte bglug@lists.linux.it
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:59:11 +0100

We (I and Snifth) are proud to announce the publication of the first
public release, the V.0.1.5, still one working beta but it works very
fine :-)

What is nast?
Nast is a packet sniffer and a LAN analyzer based on Libnet and Libpcap.
It can sniff in normal mode or in promiscuous mode the packets on a
network interface. It dumps the headers of packets and the payload in
ascii or ascii-hex format. You can apply a filter (e.g. "src ip", "port
22"...). The data sniffed can be saved in a separated file.
As analyzer tool, it can check for other NIC set in promiscous mode,
build the list of all hosts of the LAN, find a gateway, perform a port
scanning of a single/multiple host/s and catch daemon banner for the
hosts of the LAN, follow the TCP data stream, reset a connection, and
find out the link type (HUB or SWITCH).
It also provides a ncurses menu.

Features:
[-] packet sniffer with filter and other options ([-pdxlf]);
[-m] mapping the LAN;
[-s] follow a TCP stream;
[-g] find a gateway;
[-P] find promiscuous node;
[-r] reset a connection;
[-S] single port scanner;
[-M] mult port scanner;
[-L] find HUB or SWITCH;
[-b] catch Daemon banner;
[-G] ncurses interface;

I repeat, This is only a beta to send to world :-) But TODO says:
0.1.6:
======
+ implement file logging in stream.c
+ write example in manpage
+ sniff IGMP and other packets(RIP ecc)
+ add ARP_CACHE control (to contrast arp-poisoning)
!! test with net/open BSD and with other unix posix OS
!! make ncurses interface for friendly ;-)
    it's required a new window for cmdline and scrolled window for menu
!! make code more sturdy

0.1.7:
======
+ GTK+ interface

And if someone would want "to give one hand"? Or he'd want to design the
graphical interface?

Project home site is: http://nast.berlios.de
If you are lazy click here to download:
http://nast.berlios.de/src/nast-0.1.5.tar.gz

Embyte and Snifth

P.S: Sorry for the cross-post
--
UIN: 48790142 && MAILTO: embyte@madlab.it || embyte@bglug.it

It took the computing power of three C-64s to fly to the Moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95. Something is wrong here.