[bglug] X.org anche in Slack-current

Cantharsis cantharsis@bglug.it
Mar 1 Giu 2004 18:56:41 CEST

dal changelog di slackware-current:

x/:  Switched to X11R6.7.0 from X.Org.  Thanks to those who sent comments to
  x@slackware.com.  Seems the community has spoken, because the opinions were
  more than 4 to 1 in favor of using the X.Org release as the default version
  of X.  I think I've heard just about every side to this issue now, and it was
  only after careful consideration and testing that this decision was made.
  It's primarily (as is usual around here) a technical decision.  Nearly
  everyone else is going with X.Org and it seems to me that sticking with
  XFree86 it spite of this would be asking for compatibility trouble (indeed,
  we saw some issues between X.Org and XFree86 4.4.0 until a few things in
  XFree86 were patched).  I also noticed that the ATI Radeon binary drivers
  designed for XFree86 4.3.0 do not work with XFree86 4.4.0, but do work with
  the X.Org release.  Something I'm *not* in favor of is dragging around two
  nearly identical projects, so XFree86 4.4.0 has been moved to the
  /pub/slackware/unsupported/ directory on the FTP site.

  I'd like to take this moment to thank the XFree86 Project for all the truly
  amazing work they've done all these years, and to wish the project the best
  of luck.  Slackware owes the XFree86 Project a debt of gratitude and will
  always include the XFree86 acknowledgement, even if we are no longer
  shipping XFree86.

Tux does it with Slack !
Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
"Don't bother us with politics" respond those who don't want to
learn.

Richard M.Stallman
www.gnu.org