[bglug] Fwd: [Commons-l] 34 TB Wikimedia Commons files on archive.org: you can help

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian@gmail.com
Ven 1 Ago 2014 17:16:06 CEST

Ciao,

(un po' OT)

se lavorate per un Università, ente, azienda o altro e potete fare
servizio di mirroring come si dice sotto, c'è un file da 34 TB che
contiene quasi tutte le immagini
caricate su Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org) fino al 2013.

Pensate alla possibilità di mirrorare questo archivio.

Alternativamente, come singoli, potete aiutare scaricando i torrent di
alcune parti di queste immagini e condividendo.

Ciao,

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki@gmail.com>
Date: 2014-08-01 16:42 GMT+02:00
Subject: [Commons-l] 34 TB Wikimedia Commons files on archive.org: you can help
Wikimedia Commons Discussion List <commons-l@lists.wikimedia.org>,
Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: wikiteam-discuss@googlegroups.com

WikiTeam[1] has released an update of the chronological archive of all
Wikimedia Commons files, up to 2013. Now at ~34 TB total.
<https://archive.org/details/wikimediacommons>
        I wrote to – I think – all the mirrors in the world, but apparently
nobody is interested in such a mass of media apart from the Internet
Archive (and the mirrorservice.org which took Kiwix).
        The solution is simple: take a small bite and preserve a copy yourself.
One slice only takes one click, from your browser to your torrent
client, and typically 20-40 GB on your disk (biggest slice 1400 GB,
smallest 216 MB).
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Emijrp/Wikipedia_Archive#Image_tarballs>

Nemo

P.s.: Please help spread the word everywhere.

[1] https://github.com/WikiTeam/wikiteam