[Flug] A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!

Nobody nobody@linuxtoday.com
Mar 22 Ago 2000 11:08:20 CEST

This message is sent to you from
Linux Today (http://linuxtoday.com)
----------------------------------
Christian Surchi, csurchi@debian.org has requested
that we send you this article.
You can find this story online at:
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-08-22-007-04-OP-DB
----------------------------------

Linux Journal: Debian Rules
"We have a new Debian; Linux rules embedded systems; the desktop wars are not over; and freedom is good."

"I might as well start with a disclaimer. Debian is my favorite Linux distribution - make that GNU/Linux distribution - and I'm
using a Debian box now. There. And, by the way, if anyone at Linux Journal writes something incorrect about your
favorite distribution, it is not a harmless error. It's the result of our deep-seated prejudice against your distribution of choice
and the main ethnic group in your distribution's "home" country. If we do make a mistake, please send us e-mail IN ALL
CAPS RIGHT AWAY to point out that we're hypocrites and bigots and all that, otherwise we'll never learn. Thanks in
advance, and back to my LinuxWorld notes."

"My Debian-o-philia aside, Debian 2.2, the "Joel 'Espy' Klecker" release, is still pretty impressive, because it doesn't
make an impression. It's seamless. Just do an apt-get dist-upgrade, and your Debian box is upgraded from the last
version. The only reason to even get a new Debian CD is if you're someplace with a heinously slow Net connection, or if
the kernel on the old CD doesn't support your hardware. All that work looking for a black CD-ROM drive, and I'll never
use it again."

"Installing Debian is as awkward as upgrading is smooth; but RTFM, make some coffee, and power through the install. It's
worth it, especially if you're relying on informal user-group channels for support. I've been noticing more and more of the
local user-group wizards going to Debian, so you'll find skilled support there."

Complete Story

Related Stories:

LinuxPlanet: DistributionWatch Review: Debian GNU/Linux 2.2(Aug 17, 2000)

Debian Weekly News - August 15th,
2000(Aug 15, 2000)

Debian GNU/Linux 2.2, the "Joel 'Espy' Klecker"
release(Aug 15, 2000)

http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/tradeshow/0019.html
(The sender's internet address was 212.141.87.111