[Flug] [ I: [TZGISUG] Arusha Linux Users Group open day & GIS presentation]

Francesco francesco@firenze.linux.it
Ven 11 Nov 2011 16:10:41 CET

inoltro da un amico Linux Day un po fuori mano

----- Forwarded message from  -----

From: Francesco Rovero <fyahoo.it>
To: 'Francesco' <frvalley.eu>
Subject: I: [TZGISUG] Arusha Linux Users Group open day & GIS presentation

Da: tzgisug-bounces@mail.habari.co.tz
[mailto:tzgisug-bounces@mail.habari.co.tz] Per conto di Howard Frederick
Inviato: venerdì 11 novembre 2011 12:13
A: Tanzania GIS Users Group Discussion

Hi all -

The Arusha Linux Users Group is having an open day tomorrow (Saturday) at the
IAA (Institute of Accountancy, Nyati lab) in Njiro, 0900-1700.

Firstly - welcome to anyone in Arusha who would like to learn more about Linux,
install it on their laptop, or set up and run it from a USB stick, or learn
about installing and using the thousands of applications now available. See the
tentative schedule following.

Second - they were hoping to have a speaker (me) about GIS in Linux, giving a
basic introduction to QGIS capabilities. Unfortunately I have to travel and
won't be able to make it - is anyone else in Arusha available to give a brief
(30 min) off-the-cuff presentation on QGIS tomorrow morning? Please get in
touch if so.

Schedule (tentative):

    Morning (9:00 - 12:30)

    1. Installing ubuntu-desktop using CD/DVD/USB

    2.Basic introduction to desktop and application

    3.Differences between window & linux

    4.GIS - Intro

    5.Q&A

    Afternoon (2:00 - 5:00 pm):

    1. Installing applications on Ubuntu-desktop using apt repositories/mirror/

    2. Favorite tweaks for the Ubuntu Desktop/servers

    3. GIS - practical

    4. Cyber security and server hardening - Differences between Windows &
    linux

    5. Q&A

Finally, Arusha folk, should we put together a GIS open day in the next month?
Perhaps Saturday the 10th of December?

Cheers -

Howard