[FoLUG]dvd, perche' va lento

Ivan folug@lists.linux.it
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:18:15 +0100

copio/incollo=20

I doubt your problem has anything to do with DVD drive speed.

The problem is decoding of the MPEG2 stream. MacOS uses the ATI chip
hardware IDCT and Motion Compensation engine, we can't in linux since
ATI doesn't provide infos/specs about it. So we have to do 100% software
decoding for which your CPU isn't fast enough (well, it _might_ be if
someone really understood how to hand optimize the algorithm, but I'm
not sure :). On G4 machines, we have some altivec optimisations that
make it doable, but that isn't the case on G3s.

per questo la resa dvd su linux non e' eccelsa. le lib sw fanno del=20
loro meglio, ma siamo senza accel hw ( per ora ).... beh cmq questo per=20
quel che riguarda le schede ati, ma probabilmente con le altre la=20
situazione e' simile. mettete il player in debug mode e vedrete che=20
dira' che non usa idct

--=20
   (@_  Ivan Fabris, S.Sofia (FC) Powered by Linux Debian 2.2 r3  _*)
   //\      www.darthxiong.net   setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu      /\\