[FoLUG]Fw: Europarl Hearing on Software Patents

Ivan folug@lists.linux.it
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:51:05 +0200

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 13 Apr 2003 11:34:51 -0000
From: phm@ffii.org
To: questo-l-ho-tolto-io
Subject: Europarl Hearing on Software Patents

Dear Eurolinux Petition Supporter,

Thank you for signing our

	Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe
	http://petition.eurolinux.org/

a while ago, and for allowing us to inform you about upcoming actions.[1]

We now need your participation again.

The European Parliament is likely to ratify a Software Patent Directive,
possibly with helpful amendments, in May.  Detailed news are found at

	http://swpat.ffii.org/news/index.en.html

Your participation can have a decisive influence.

Here are a few things to do:

(1) Sign our Amendment Proposals by clicking

	http://petition.ffii.org/eubsa/en
=09
    or by logging in at
   =20
    	http://petition.ffii.org/
=09
    and then navigating through "Signing Appeals".=09
=09
(2) Now you are logged into a system which makes it easy to
    select and contact Members of the European Parliament (MEPs)
 =20
    Click
=09
      =3D=3D> My MEPs=20
      =3D=3D> I would rather select an MEP myself=20
      =3D=3D> [ selection criteria ]=20
      =3D=3D> [ 1 MEP ]

(3) Directly phone your MEP, express your concern about the
    "Software Patent Directive Project", find out who in this MEP's
    office is studying the matter, how they think and whom they
    follow, and leave a note in the "My MEP" data form.

    It is very important that MEPs hear *your* voice directly
    and not just the voices of a few "Eurolinux lobbyists".

(4) Write to the person with whom you just phoned.
    Perhaps back this up by a software patent page on your website.
    Keep it simple, but feel free to ask for our assistance in formulating.
    In any case, send us copies/pointers.

(5) The Green and Liberal Fractions of the European Parliament are calling
    on representatives of Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) to speak at a
    hearing on May 8th about the Software Patent Directive Project.  There
    will also be a demonstration in front of the parliament building.

    Please consider speaking at the hearing, if you can speak for a
    company.  Companies from Eastern Europe (future member countries) are
    also (and even particularly) welcome.  Contact us for details.

    You can find more details about the emerging event schedule at

	http://swpat.ffii.org/events/2003/europarl/
=09
    and you can register as a participant through the petition.ffii.org
    web forms.=20

(6) Make a donation for our lobbying expenses.  We are spending at least
    30,000 EUR on top of a lot of unpaid voluntary work, and we will not
    be able to pay all our bills unless you come forward with donations.

    The bank account for a donation is=20

        Germany
	Bank Code 70150000
	S.W.I.F.T.: SSKM DE MM
	Bank Address: DE 80335 M=FCnchen Lotstr 1
	Name of Bank: Stadtsparkasse M=FCnchen
	Account: 31112097
	Account Owner: FFII e.V.
        Keyword: europarl

It would be great if you could get started with at least one of the
above items right now.

For brevity, we are writing in English only this time, but we will try to
answer your questions or replies in the language of your choice.

Yours sincerely
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Amicalement
kore
..

--=20
Hartmut Pilch, FFII & Eurolinux Alliance              tel. +49-89-12789608 =
 =20
Protecting Innovation against Patent Inflation	     http://swpat.ffii.org/
140,000 signatures against software patents          http://noepatents.org/

[1] If someone abused your email address or for some other reason you do not
    want to be a signatory of our petition, please say so clearly and we
    will remove your signature. Note that as long as you are a signatory and
    the reasons for this petition continue to exist, you may occasionally
    (not more than 1x/month) receive short mails such as this one, which are
    strictly limited to helping you achieve the aims which you have endorse=
d.

--=20
   (@_  Ivan Fabris, S. Sofia (FC)   PowerPC & Linux Debian SID   _*)
   //\      www.darthxiong.net   setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu      /\\
   V_/_     www.folug.linux.it   pgp key @ www.keyserver.net     _\_V
        Socio Fondatore e Consigliere del Forli Linux User Group=20