[FoLUG] Giochi Liberati

Alessandro Ronchi alessandro@aronchi.org
Mer 1 Set 2004 14:16:00 CEST

http://www.liberatedgames.com/gamelisting.php

Liberated Games is dedicated to cataloging all full commercial games
that have been liberated and made free in playable form to the public.

There are two basic types of liberated games:

     1. Source code, no data - These games have had their source code
        released, which means that the games can often be improved,
        fixed, and ported to new platforms. The prime examples of these
        are the games from id Software, like Doom and Quake, which were
        released under the GNU General Public License (GPL). With nearly
        every source release, the player must still purchase the assets,
        like graphics, models, sounds, and music, before playing the
        full game. This is often done by buying a used version of the
        game, or when available, a new version. Limited play may be
        available through the use of the data contained in a shareware
        version of the game.
     2. Binary executable and data - These games have been released in
        binary-only form. The packages typically contain everything
        needed to play: the program, graphics, models, sounds, and
        music. However, because the source code is not available, these
        versions are limited to the original platform for which they
        were built. These games cannot be fixed, improved, or ported to
        new platforms.
There will naturally be some exceptions, and our definition will expand
to include those new games and types of releases as they are made.

We neither condone nor engage in distributing games which are commonly
called "Abandonware". We strive to respect the rights of the developers
and publishers who retain the distribution rights of their works. Do not
ask us about including games on the site that have not been liberated by
the copyright owners.

We support the liberation of new games and encourage players to file
information in our database about an older game which they recommend for
liberation. If interest is high enough, we will attempt to work with
developers and publishers to investigate the possibility of liberating
the game for the benefit of the community.

Liberated Games was conceived and created by Matt Matthews and Marvin
Malkowski Jr.

--
Vivi un'altra Forlė :: http://www.aronchi.org/forli