glug:Writer/Researcher Requests your Help

Steve Lawler glug@genova.linux.it
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:11:24 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format
--999d4d63-f9eb-471c-a2c8-cce74e887705

Dear Colleague,

Please excuse the impersonal quality of this e-mail.

I am writing to ask your help for an article I am writing about Life =
Practices.

I am looking for examples of those simple things that we all do that are
essential to expressing and maintaining our values as we face life's ups and
downs - our Life Practices. I am especially interested in practices developed =

by those who have been in, lived through or dealt with the aftermath of war.
=

What I am seeking is a bit like folklore. Something with a story and an easy
to remember slogan or catchphrase.  I am asking you to contribute out of
your own personal experience not as an official representative of an
organization. I am especially interested in those practices, which help you
deal with others - in your family, at work, in your immediate community, in
the larger global community, etc.

This is the only e-mail you will receive from me unless you choose to
participate in this project.

So far I have gathered over 150 practices from people all over the world:
These are examples of contributions I have received so far that may help =
clarify what
I am looking for:

" 'Water what you want to grow' is my motto. Whenever I see something being
done well I acknowledge it as soon as possible and in some tangible way. The
least that I do is to complement the person doing the thing well. What I try
to do more often is write a note to the person or give them a small gift."

"My life changed when I went from seeing mistakes as awful to seeing them
as the first chapter of a textbook on a new subject. I even had this made
into a sign that hangs on the wall in my office. 'Mistakes are just chapter
one in a textbook on a new subject' Now I get bothered if I don't have some
sort of royal screw-up every few days. It's like I am not trying."

"I learned from my grandfather to 'use the best materials you can afford.'
This has provided a model for my life's work. Even in my late 70's I am
still actively building things and more to the point of your book, I am
still building my life out of "the best materials I can afford."

These practices come from people from many places and with a wide variety of
=

backgrounds. I am grateful for that. I want to show the broadest
possible view of Life Practices from around the globe.

The article  will feature some of the material I gather with some commentary.
=

I will be grateful if you would send me a practice that you use as a
foundation in your life.

Please include some brief biographical information as well. Also, if you
would like to share in what I am learning, please let me know as well.

And please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you for your consideration.

Steve Lawler
swl@lawler.org

About me:

Steve Lawler an ethics consultant and writer based in St Louis, Missouri
USA. He regularly gives workshops on issues of ethics, values and culture. He =
has
been quoted in a number of related pieces in publications including the Wall
Street Journal, The Christian Science Monitor and Cape Talk Radio - Cape =
Town.  Lawler has
worked with companies in the US and Europe - including Monsanto, Pulitzer =
Publishing,
and the Danforth Foundation. He has been a lecturer at Washington University =
and at Webster
University. He has written for numerous publications.

Steve Lawler
47 Aberdeen Place, St. Louis, MO 63105 USA
Voice:        +1 (314) 753 7911
Fax:           +1 (314) 727 9792
E-mail:      swl@lawler.org
Web Site: www.lawler.org

--999d4d63-f9eb-471c-a2c8-cce74e887705--