Fwd: Mandriva Linux 2008 now available

Angelo Naselli anaselli@linux.it
Mar 9 Ott 2007 14:25:03 CEST

FYI,
	Angelo
----------  Messaggio inoltrato  ----------

Oggetto: [Cooker] Mandriva Linux 2008 now available
Data: martedì 9 ottobre 2007
Da: Adam Williamson <awilliamson@mandriva.com>
A: cooker@mandrivalinux.org

We're proud to announce that Mandriva Linux 2008 is now available for
download via BitTorrent - http://torrent.mandriva.com/public - and on
the network of public mirror servers.

The result of six months of heavy development and testing, 2008 includes
all the latest software and many enhancements over previous Mandriva
Linux releases. You will find KDE 3.5.7 and the new GNOME 2.20 already
integrated, a solid kernel 2.6.22.9 with fair scheduling support,
OpenOffice.org 2.2.1, cutting-edge 3D-accelerated desktop courtesy of
Compiz Fusion 0.5.2, Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6, and everything else you've
come to expect from the latest Mandriva Linux release. We have
integrated a reworked hardware detection sub-system, with support for a
lot of new devices (particularly graphics cards, sound cards and
wireless chips). Also, the addition of new features and ongoing
improvements to the renowned Mandriva tools continues, including a
wizard to import Windows documents and settings, the new network
configuration center, and improvements to the Mandriva software
management tools. You can read about the most exciting new features of
Mandriva Linux 2008 in depth in the Release Tour -
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/Tour .

Mandriva Linux 2008 was developed by the Mandriva development community,
based around the Cooker development distribution. This open,
community-driven development system has been in place since 1998, making
it one of the longest-standing open source development communities
around. The involvement of the Mandriva development community helps us
to make Mandriva Linux one of the largest, most up-to-date, integrated,
internationalized and standardized distributions available, for which we
thank our contributors greatly. We're proud of the standardization
efforts included in Mandriva Linux 2008, including support for the
Freedesktop.org XDG menu, user directories and icon theme
specifications.

Mandriva Linux 2008 is available for download free of charge:
http://torrent.mandriva.com/public . The One installation CD is the
recommended download with everything you need to start using Mandriva
Linux 2008: it comes with a full KDE desktop and application suite,
NVIDIA and ATI proprietary video card drivers, Intel wireless firmware,
Adobe Flash and Sun Java browser plugins, all included.

Enjoy your brand new Mandriva Linux 2008 system!

Please refrain from submitting this release announcement to general news
sites for now. We are waiting for a couple of things before sending it
to them as an official story in a few hours' time. News site editors, if
you come across this story, please wait for us to submit it as an
official news story. Thanks!
--
adamw