[Gpm] Synaptics touchpad

Chris Collins cmcollin@polymail.calpoly.edu
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:24:14 PDT

Hello,

I have a Compaq Presario 1685 laptop with a
synaptics touchpad.  I have been through a steep
learning curve with regards to this piece of cr**,
I mean piece of equipment.

What does the latest gpm synps2 do to work with the famous
linux kernel synaptics 'jumpy mouse problem'.

Does the poorly-functioning compiled kernel driver
for this mouse get overridden somehow with GPM?

I have written one user who claims that using GPM
makes all perfect.   I have been trying to ping
the linux kernel writers to look at this.  The kernel
solution seems like a large task.

I really don't get the details.  Something about 6-bit
scancodes vs 4-bit, and error handling should be removed
from the kernel and it currently resides compiled in.
The pc_keyb.c patch for the linux kernel is a kludge.

What does GPM do?  I havn't used it.  I have XDM running and
typically go straight for X, I thought GPM was only for
consoles, but now I have heard otherwise, and am investigating
weather this is a solution to my poorly functioning synaptics
touchpad.

--Chris