[Gpm] logitec having short freezes & future of gpm

Tomas Pospisek gpm@lists.prosa.it
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 01:03:25 +0200 (CEST)

Hello List, Alessandro and Ian,

* I'm having here a Logitec PS2 wheelmouse, it's 2nd hand so I don't know
  it's type. It works with:

	device=/dev/psaux
	responsiveness=
	repeat_type=raw
	type=imps2

  but the mouse feels very rough. It's having kind of very short freezes.

  If I run the mouse under X4.0.2 under IMPS2 (direct access to
  /dev/psaux, gpm is off) the mouse runs fine. Is there anything I can do
  except for having a deep dive into gpm and X code (which I won't be able
  to do unless I find a way to clone myself :-(

* You write in the README:

  > As of 1.19.0, gpm is officially unmaintained. I can't do it any more,
  > and nobody expressed interest in it. Gpm is old-fashioned, the future
  > is in graphic mode and other groups are working on input management.
  > There's no need to make my life harder by continuing to support gpm,
  > when every distribution is already doing its own patches without even
  > trying to communicate with me.

  * Could you include some pointers to *working* gpm replacements?

  * In case gpm is going to die and there won't be any replacement I'd
    consider it as a *tragedy*. I'm using gpm *all* the time and I'm sure
    others do as well. Can't there be anything done about that? Can't
    anybody (the big distros etc.) sponsor your work? Have you tried to
    check?

* ftp.prosa.it (the single source for patches as it seems) seems to be
  down.

Greets and many thanks for all the good work,
even if it, as it seems, burned you out :-(. Thanks,
*t

     Tomas Pospisek
     sourcepole    -   Linux & Open Source Solutions
     http://sourcepole.com
     Elestastrasse 18,  7310 Bad Ragaz,  Switzerland
     Tel:+41 (81) 330 77 13,  Fax:+41 (81) 330 77 12