[gpm]GPM problems

Troy Schultz tschultz@canada.com
01 Apr 2002 10:45:10 -0500

I recently upgraded my GPM from version 1.19.6 to 1.20.0 and have tried
the synaptics patches from Peter.  I am mostly happy with things, except
I am experiencing problems with X no longer processing pointer or
keyboard events.  This happend only a few time with version 1.19.6 and I
was never able to determine why.  Now with version 1.20.0 it is much
more frequent.

I have tried both native 1.20.0 and with Peter's synaptics patches, I
have the same problems with both versions.

My system is a Compaq Presario 2710 with a synaptics touchpad+4-way
scroll key, firmware version 5.8.  I am running RedHat 7.2 with kernel
2.4.17, ACPI version 20020225, and Xfree86 Version 4.2.0.

I start gpm using the following;
"daemon gpm -Rimps2 -t synps2 -m /dev/mouse"

Under XF86Consig-4 the pointer sections is as follows;
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
	Option	    "Buttons" "5"
	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

The problems I experience are as follows;
#1: access console using <CTRL><ALT><F1> and return to X using
<CTRL><ALT><F7> no response from X for either mouse or keybaord.  This
happens 100% of the time with gpm 1.20.0 and only happened once with gpm
1.19.6.  After this I must restart the system.  During this
/var/log/messages do not report anything out of the ordinary.

#2: after X screen saver is running and returns to normal X display,
loose mouse and sometime keyboard.  This happens approx. 20% of the
time.  After this if I ssh to the notebook and restart gpm things work
again.  During this problem /var/log/messages reports "gpm[PID]: garbage
or tossing PS/2 data"

#3: sometimes during normal running, usually related with a window
close, I also experience mouse and keyboard loss as in problem #2. Same
results and fix as #2 also.

I have also tried gpm using the msc repeater and X configured for
MouseSystemsMouse and still had the same results, and also don't have
the nice scroll that Peter's patches provide.

Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
- Troy Schultz